The transitional stage
There is often a transition when you switch from chemical shampoos to a natural shampoo bar. When you first begin, your hair or scalp may become oily or dry and feel more coarse than normal. People often feel like there is a waxy residue still left over in your hair. This is just your hair adjusting, your scalp needs time to re-balance oil production. It usually lasts about a week and it will go away.
Stick with it, once your hair has adjusted it will feel softer, cleaner and more manageable. This is because shampoo bars CLEAN and CONDITION your hair and scalp without stripping it of its natural sebum. If you have dandruff problems, you may find this clears up because your scalp is not getting dried out and your body is no longer reacting to the chemicals.
Best use of the shampoo bar
Run the shampoo bar over your head in one direction (front to back), which will avoid causing unnecessary knots. Alternatively you can rub the bar in your hands and apply from your hands to your head. If you have lots of hair though you may find direct application quicker. Once you have a good amount of shampoo on top of your head, massage it into your scalp with your fingers. Rinse with water until ALL the shampoo is out.
Tips for an easy transition:
- Use an apple cider vinegar rinse after using the bar, this will help to restore the pH balance of your scalp (recipe below). It will also protect the hair shaft and give your hair shine.
- Gently brush your hair often, twice a day is good. Brush from scalp to tips to help redistribute the natural oils in your hair.
- Give your hair a few days in between washings to allow it to adjust.
- Rinse thoroughly after washing to remove all of the shampoo.
Apple cider vinegar rinse
- 1 part apple cider vinegar
- 4 parts water
- A few drops of your preferred essential oil. (optional)
Combine the ingredients in your choice of container, one with a spray nozzle is useful. Wet hair and spray the rinse on your hair and work it through. Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
The great thing about a shampoo bar is that they last as long as three standard shampoo bottles, so you can quickly notice the decrease in plastic waste from your bathroom!